Parents and/or legal guardians must reside within the Shaker Heights City School District for their children to attend the Shaker schools. Consult the school district map to make sure your home is within the District. The school attendance laws of the State of Ohio are strictly enforced. If you are unsure whether your child is eligible to attend the Shaker schools, please call the Registration Office at (216) 295-4321 or send an e-mail to Glo Morris.
Registration forms may be downloaded from the Registration Forms page. The forms may also be requested by completing the Registration Packet Request form or by calling the Registration Office at (216) 295-4321.
The Registration Process
Registration for students entering the Shaker Heights schools is by appointment. After collecting all required documents and completing all registration forms, please call (216) 295-4321 to schedule an appointment to register your child. Office hours are 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
The appointment will last for a maximum of 1 hour (additional time will be needed when registering multiple children).
A parent /legal guardian must appear in person to register their child.
In order to best plan for your child’s academic success, students enrolling in grades 5-12 will be assessed as a part of the registration process prior to receiving their class assignment or schedule. Please bring your child to the appointment.
On the Day of Your Appointment
Please arrive on time for your appointment. The address of the Administration Building can be found at the top of the page.
All required documentation and completed forms will be reviewed and collected.
Students enrolling in grades 5-12 will complete a short assessment.
New families will be provided with important information and resources regarding the Shaker Heights City Schools.
To register your child, along with proofs of residency, please bring the following original documents:
- A certified copy of your child’s birth certificate or passport
- Complete immunization record
- Three items as proof of your residence within the Shaker Heights City School District (see below)
- Withdrawal forms from previous school, if applicable
- Divorce, custody or guardianship documents, if applicable
- Parent or guardian's photo ID
- Current special education records: must have IEP, MFE, or 504 plan, if applicable
Proof of Residence
Three items must be provided as proof of the parent/guardian's residence upon the enrollment of any child into the School District. Listed below are documents that can be used for this purpose.
One item must be:
- A Certificate of Occupancy for any two-family or single-home rental, and/or
- A current signed lease, mortgage verification, or signed purchase agreement
Two additional proofs of residence may include:
- A current utility bill showing the name and address of the parent/guardian
- Income or employment verification
- Tax correspondence
- Home, rental, health or car insurance
- Verification from a bank or other financial institution
If you move to a new address at any time during your child’s enrollment in the District, it is your responsibility to inform school officials of your new address and bring proof of residency to the Registration Office.
Ohio law requires that all children complete a formal kindergarten program. Children who are five years old on or before September 30 are eligible to attend kindergarten. Children must be at least six years old to enter first grade.
Upon completing the registration process, you will be provided with a packet of essential information for new families.